Only the massive bookcase in the room connecting the salon with the bed chamber serves as a reminder of the library, which was subsequently integrated into the historic book collection of the Princes of Bentheim and Steinfurt at Steinfurt Castle. The foundation of this collection of books was laid in Reformation times, when theological thoughts and political issues of confession were of utmost interest.
When the “Higher School” in Schüttorf (1588) was founded, the book collection was established with writings dealing with philosophy, law, and medicine. Literary and linguistic interests were the primary focus in the 17th century. During that period the Counts of Bentheim were much involved in the “Fruchtbringende Gesellschaft” (Bountiful Society) that had been founded in Dessau—one of those Baroque linguistic societies where the intellectual elite met to exchange thoughts with the leading political class.